When individuals neglect the health of their smile, they can end up suffering from cavities that can lead to serious damages. Aside from brushing and flossing, one of the most important things a person can do for the health of their smile is to make sure they see the dentist on a regular basis. Knowing the signs of cavities is important so an individual will know when they need to seek care.
Signs of Cavities
It is important individuals are able to recognize the signs of cavities so they will know when to seek dental care. Prompt dental care is a must when a cavity erupts or else continued damage will occur that could result in a tooth no longer being viable. The following are some of the signs that may be noticed when a cavity is present.
- Discolorations on the teeth could mean cavities are present. White or dark spots should not be ignored since these can both signal cavities. If an individual notices these spots, they need to be seen by the dentists in Sterling VA.
- Pain is one of the first signs people notice, but this generally does not occur until the tooth has been compromised. If a person waits to see the dentist until pain strikes, damage has already likely been done.
- Increased sensitivity is a hallmark sign of cavities in the teeth. If the tooth experiences sensitivity when biting down or when eating sweets, the individual needs to see their dentist right away.
- Redness and irritation in the gum tissue around the tooth can also be caused by a cavity. When a cavity becomes severe, it can cause infections in the gum tissue or at least lead to inflammation.
- Bad breath can also be a sign of cavities. When a person’s breath is foul, this can be caused by decay and infection. This sign should not be ignored because it could mean serious oral health issues are occurring.
Schedule an Appointment
If you are dealing with any of the above signs, it is imperative you seek dental treatment right away. Call the office today so your appointment can be scheduled.